Oftentimes our health and wellness is taken for granted. We allow work, busy schedules, and stress to get in the way of taking care of ourselves. While all of our responsibilities are important, taking care of ourselves should always be a priority.
Wellness comes from taking care of all aspects of your body: physical, mental, and emotional. It may seem intimidating to start, but luckily there are certain practices that will boost wellness in your life.
How to Improve Wellness in 10 Easy Ways:
1. Drink water: This one seems simple enough. But, if you’re drinking coffee, soda, and alcohol every day it is easy to brush water under the rug. Water is important for hydration, keeping your body balanced, and improving multiple bodily functions.
2. Go on walks: Comparing yourself to social media fitness models can make starting fitness a daunting task. Being healthy doesn’t require getting a gym membership, trying unrealistic diets, or using the heaviest weights. Walking is a simple way to keep your body active. Going on long walks can also be therapeutic while dealing with stress and big decisions.
3. Eat properly & enough: When you’re busy and stressed it can be hard to make sure you’re eating properly and enough. Try your best to eat a balanced diet, and remember, there’s nothing wrong with an occasional treat! Make sure you’re eating enough to ensure your body is fueled and prepared to handle the day.
4. Cut back on the caffeine: Trust me, we love our caffeine. It helps us wake up, but it can also cause a racing heart, increased anxiety, and decrease your appetite. Always be careful and conscious of how much caffeine you are consuming. The caffeine rush is not worth the crash!
5. Stretch: Taking 10-15 minutes out of the day to stretch keeps your muscles healthy, can help reduce back pain, and helps your body and self feel really good.
6. Talk it out and/or utilize therapy: Therapy should be normalized. Therapy helps you talk through issues, stressors, and finds the root of feelings. You can learn more about yourself and how to improve your relationships with others. If therapy is not for you, remember that it is still beneficial to talk through stressors with a trusted person!
7. Don’t force emotions: It is okay to feel emotions. It is okay to feel sad. It is okay to feel angry. It is okay to feel, and it is important to be conscious of how you react to these feelings. It can be easy to push the negative feelings away and try to force yourself to be happy. If only it was this easy. Happiness and being content still comes with feelings of sadness, grief, confusion, and anger. It is important to deal with these varying emotions in a healthy way and to understand it is normal to not feel happy all the time.
8. Reserve time for relaxation: In seasons of stress and deadlines, it is way too easy to forget about relaxing. Relaxing does not mean you’re lazy; it means you know when your body needs rest. It is important to give your mind and body a break so that it is able to reset. This can give way to new ideas, more energy, and an overall happier life.
9. Get enough sleep: The phrase, ‘I can sleep when I’m dead’ is not one to live by. Sleep is important for both physical and mental health. Your body will tell you when you need to sleep and it is important to listen to it! Trust your body when it tells you something. We have all been that person living off 2 hours of sleep, 5 espressos, and protein bars. Refraining from sleep does not allow you to get as much accomplished as you think you do.
10. Be kind to yourself and others: This is the most important wellness tip. If you are kind to yourself, you will treat your body well and can improve your self esteem. If you are kind to others, you will be able to develop and maintain healthy relationships. Being kind is the greatest way to preserve positivity in your life.